Grilled Turkey in a Seasonal Brine
- • 2 quarts apple juice or cider
- • 1 lb. light brown sugar
- • 3/4 cup coarse Kosher Salt
- • 3 quarts water
- • 3 oranges quartered or ½ cup orange juice
- • 4 ounces ginger (fresh peeled thin or 2 oz. powder)
- • 15 whole cloves
- • 6 bay leaves
- • 6 garlic cloves crushed
- • Heat apple juice with brown sugar and salt to dissolve, let cool.
- • Purchase food grade paint bucket and lid (available at hardware stores)
- • Clean turkey and place in bucket with all above ingredients (squeeze oranges), cover tightly, place in refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- • After that time take out of bucket, place on roasting rack, and return to refrigerator uncovered overnight.
- • Same cooking process as in the oven. Place turkey on a roasting rack and in a pan, place on the grill preheated to 325 degrees with chicken stock to cover the bottom.
- • If smoking use fruit or mild woods (apple, cherry, orange, alder). I suggest only smoking for one hour at most so the smoke does not overpower the turkey.
- • Add potatoes, carrots, and onions to the pan half way through and make sure to baste it.
- • When internal temperature hits 165 in thickest part it’s done.
- • Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
© 2018 WCNC