Spring Chicken Vegetable Soup – a great immunity booster and uses ingredients that are in season this Spring.
Please let us know if you have any questions. He’ll be there at 10 a.m.
Spring Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, quartered
- 8 cups alkaline water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup garden peas, fresh or frozen
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tomato, diced
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 TBL chives, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the carrots, celery, onion, and salt. Add enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes, skimming off any foam that appears. Add additional alkaline water as necessary to keep the chicken covered.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the carrots, celery, and onion. Shred the chicken and reserve. Discard the skin and bones.
- Add the peas, asparagus and tomato to the broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add the spinach, stirring until wilted. Add lemon juice and test for seasoning.
- Serve with chopped chives and more lemon wedges if desired.