NEW ORLEANS -- Luis Conde knew he'd done something wrong when he picked up the phone Tuesday morning, according to police.

"He's dead," Conde reportedly told his friend. "I killed him."

Police soon swarmed the 800 block of Bourbon Street, where Conde was holed up after refusing to speak to police, leading a heavily-armed tactical team to swarm the block.

Those allegations were the first revealed by a prosecutor Friday night during a bond hearing for Conde, accused of fatally stabbing and beating his longtime boyfriend, 61-year-old Cleveland Guillot, a former Adler's jewelry store manager.

Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Magistrate Commisoner Brigid Collins set bond for Conde at $150,000.

Conde, 40, was booked Friday on a count of second-degree murder in Guillot's death after being released from University Medical Center, where he was hospitalized since being taken into custody.

Stephen Hebert, Conde's attorney, declined to speak about the case or the injuries that put his client in the hospital.

All Hebert would say is that Friday night's bond hearing was "the inception of a complicated matter" and there is more to the story than was included in court documents.

According to an arrest warrant, Conde and Guillot were in a relationship for "several" years. Neighbors who knew them previously told Eyewitness News that while they were known in the lower Quarter, they largely kept to themselves.

Why Conde allegedly killed Guillot remains a mystery, but when police finally burst into Guillot's home, they found blood "splattered" around the room.

Guillot was dead and covered in blood. A sharp object was found near his body, a prosecutor told the court.

The Orleans Parish coroner earlier this week said Guillot died from blunt trauma to his head and stab wounds.

Conde himself was wearing blood-soaked clothes, the warrant read. He spent the next three days in the hospital being treated for undisclosed injuries.

Hebert told Collins that he expected his client, who has lived in New Orleans for 14 years and has no known prior criminal record, to post bond in the coming days.

In asking Collins to set "a minimal bond" for Conde, Hebert cited the fact that his client spent more than three days in NOPD custody at the hospital without being put in front of a judge. Louisiana law requires that defendants be allowed to make their initial court appearance within 72 hours of being apprehended by police.

Collins ordered Conde to return to court the for drug testing the Monday following whenever he posts bond.

New Orleans Advocate staff writer Ramon Antonio Vargas contributed to this report.