SACO, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — An 18-year-old is behind bars after a drunk driving crash in Saco on Locke Street.

Jeffrey Foran faces charges of operating under the influence, reckless conduct, operating without a license and violating terms of release after police said he backed into two cars.

A group of teenagers and their families say there is much more to the story.

Around 20 high school freshmen and their families were all gathered at a friend’s house Saturday night before their first ever homecoming dance at Thornton Academy.

They said that what started as an innocent night turned very scary when a man in a car harassed them and deliberately tried to hit them.

“We had just taken pictures,” said Angela Jenks, the mother of one of the boys. “We had been eating. Having a great time.”

The boys were playing football and dodgeball in the street before the big dance.

“Every time a car came by, we would move out of the way. Like we always do,” said Jenks’ son, Colby.

They said they also stepped out of the street when three older teenagers drove by and screamed obscenities at them out their car windows. Eighteen-year-old Jeffrey Horan was driving that car.

The friends said that 45 minutes later, he came back and screamed at them again. That’s when they said he got to a stop sign, put his right blinker on, and instead of taking the right turn, put his car in reverse.

They said he erratically, and very quickly sped in reverse. They believe that he intended to hit someone.

“I was just kind of in shock,” said Colby Jenks. “I didn't really know what to do. I just saw everyone running.”

Police said Foran hit two cars belonging to two of the mothers.

“I can't imagine what would trigger somebody to do that,” said Stephanie Monks, a mother to one of the boys and the owner of the home where people were visiting.

Luckily, none of the friends were hit in the accident. They said that, as witnesses, the "intention was to hit us.”

“It was an accident for us,” said Angela Jenks. “It wasn’t an accident for him. That was truly something he was planning on doing.”

Foran is at the York County Jail being held without bail.

Forty-eight hours later, the kids and their parents are still reeling. “I'm still upset,” said Monks. “I'm still a little nervous and on edge because of the whole thing that happened.”

But they said that the situation could have been much worse.

”We were very lucky that we didn't have to call and have anybody transported to the hospital,” said Angela Jenks, who works as a nurse.

“I thought they were just teenagers trying to look cool having a car. Trying to make fun of us,” 14-year-old Jackson Cochrane said. “I didn't think they would stop and try and go backwards and try to hurt us.”

After spending about two hours doing interviews with the police, the group of friends was able to still make it to their homecoming dance.

The parents said that they just hope that Foran pays the consequences for what they said was risking their kids' lives.

The accident is still under investigation.