Columbia, SC (AP, WLTX) - South Carolina is ready to start issuing new driver's licenses that are in line with federal identification requirements for boarding a plane, entering a federal building or getting onto a military base.
Department of Motor Vehicles Director Kevin Shwedo said Wednesday that the new Real ID Act-compliant licenses and identification cards are now available at his agency's 67 locations.
The new cards have a gold star. Non-compliant cards are still available and have text reading they are "not for federal identification."
To be eligible to purchase a REAL ID, the SCDMV must have the following on file:
- Proof of identity (Government-issued birth certificate or valid US Passport)
- Proof of Social Security number
- Two proofs of current, physical SC address
- Proof of all legal name changes
Gov. Henry McMaster signed a law last year allowing South Carolinians to obtain REAL ID Act-compliant licenses, reversing the state's decade-long refusal to comply.
Now, South Carolinians have until October 2020 before a REAL ID license is needed to show at military bases or airports.
The SCDMV says there are five main things to remember when it comes to REAL IDs:
- REAL IDs aren't needed to drive, vote, apply for or receive federal benefits for which you’re entitled, enter a federal facility that does not require ID, access or receive life-saving services or participate in law enforcement proceedings or investigations.
- The cards are now available to purchase at SCDMV branches across the state, but card prices haven't changed.
- You have two and half years to change your card before you should experience anything differently at airports, secure federal buildings, or military installations across the country.
- The correct documents must be on file with the SCDMV to purchase a REAL ID. You are not eligible to purchase a REAL ID if the correct documents are not on file.
- You may be able to purchase your REAL ID driver’s license online if all of the required documents are on file with the SCDMV.
For more information, visit scdmvonline.com, email REALID@scdmv.net or call 803-896-5000.