New numbers released from a study done by USA TODAY showed 638 threats targeted schools between February 15-27 following the tragedy in Parkland, Florida.

During that time frame, 11 reports were made in North Carolina and 10 in South Carolina. On Wednesday, NBC Charlotte obtained four more police reports about school threats.

Last week, the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools superintendent sent a message to parents asking for help in monitoring their children’s presence on social media and what they’re posting.

Students at Hickory Ridge High School told NBC Charlotte after Tuesday’s bomb threat that students are “taking this as a joke."

NBC Charlotte sat down with Melissa Owen, local defense attorney at Tin, Fulton, Walker and Owen about this national issue involving juveniles.

"The issues with juveniles are really complicated, because the last thing to develop for adolescent males is impulse control,” Owen said. “The reality is, teenagers do not understand the consequences of their actions. Biologically, they simply don't understand it."

If parents are not able to provide the required attention and help to the child, there will be consequences.

Moms in line to check their child out of Hickory Ridge because of Tuesday's threat felt parents should be punished at this point.

“Parents need to be held accountable, because they have signs that see these things on Facebook, it's all over everywhere."

Owen said in North Carolina, “The court is asking, ‘What is the parent doing and what are they aware of?’ What they have the power to do is remove the child from the home. It's our job as adults to try and help them become thoughtful, productive citizens."

In South Carolina, the maximum penalty for threatening violence at a school is just 90 days in jail. Lawmakers are considering a bill that would bring the penalty in line with North Carolina’s law where the crime carries a sentence of up to three years in prison if the offender is charged and convicted as an adult.