Bean and Beef Burritos
1 pound lean ground beef on sale for $3.99 a pound
½ cup chopped onion 89 cents a pound
2 teaspoons chili powder Food Lion Brand
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled Food Lion Brand
½ teaspoon salt my essentials brand
¼ teaspoon pepper my essentials brand
1 16-ounce can of refried beans Food Lion Brand $.99
1 10-ounce enchilada sauce, divided Food Lion Brand $1.79
6 8-inch flour tortillas my essentials brand $1.99
1 avocado, sliced (for garnish) on sale for 99 cents each
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned, stirring often to break up meat. Drain well. Add chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes. Add refried beans and 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Heat thoroughly.
2. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Spoon about a ½ cup of the ground beef mixture into each tortilla. Roll tightly and place seam-side down on a serving platter. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas and garnish with sliced avocado. Makes 6 enchiladas.
Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
2 Tablespoons minced garlic, divided Food Lion Brand
1 teaspoon salt, divided my essentials brand
¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided my essentials brand
½ teaspoon dried sage Food Lion Brand
1 (3 ½-pound) roasting chicken Perdue roasting chickens are on sale for 99 cents a pound
Cooking spray Food Lion Brand
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed on sale for 69 cents a pound
2 Tablespoons butter, melted my essentials brand$2.37 a pound
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine 1 ½ tablespoons garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and sage in a small bowl. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Place rack in broiler pan.
3. Combine potatoes, butter, 1 ½ teaspoons garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Arrange potato mixture around chicken. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin. Enjoy!
1 large eggplant cut lengthwise into 8 slices $1.87 lb.
Salt and pepper my essentials brand
4 large eggs my essentials brand 6 count for $1.56
2 ½ cups bread crumbs my essentials brand loaf $1.05
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil my essentials brand
¾ cup ricotta cheese Food Lion Brand $2.69
1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese my essentials brand 2 cups $2.27
1 cup pasta sauce Food Lion Brand $1.59
1. Season the eggplant with salt and pepper. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs. Pour the bread crumbs onto a large plate. Dip each eggplant slice into the egg mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the eggplant until golden, 2 minutes on each side, using the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Transfer the eggplant to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta and 3 tablespoons mozarella; season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon of the remaining pesto on each eggplant slice and top with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. Roll up each slice. Bake until the eggplant is tender when pierced with a toothpick, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the marinara sauce to a simmer. Serve the roll-ups with the sauce and remaining mozarella.