Ruth’s French toast
• 6 Egg Yolks
• 1 cup sugar
• Vanilla bean fresh
• Sea salt
• 1 qt Heavy cream
Fresh Berry compote-
• 2 pints fresh berries
• 10 x sugar
• Juice from 1 orange
• 1 oz Honey
• 6 oz Water
• Finish with 1 oz butter rolled in flour
• Fresh mint
• 10x sugar
1. Whisk egg yolks and ½ of the sugar until pale yellow and thick. 3-5 minutes by hand. 1-2 minutes with a mixer.
2. Bring cream and other ½ of the sugar just to the boil.
3. Slowly temper the eggs with the hot cream mixture. Incorporate cream slowly as not to cook the eggs.
4. Refrigerate until cool. 2 hours min
5. Slice baguette on the bias and thick 1 ½ inches
6. Place bread in a casserole dish and cover with the custard.
7. Refrigerate over-night.
8. Preheat oven to 325. On the stove top, sear the exterior of the toast in a hot saute pan with butter until golden.
9. Return to the casserole dish and bake for 10-15 minutes
1. Heat a sauté pan with butter.
2. Add berries and sugar. Saute briefly until fruit begins to breakdown.
3. Deglaze the pan with orange juice and water.
4. Add the honey and reduce the heat.
5. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
6. Finish sauce by slowly adding the butter and stirring.
Plate of your choice- cut the French toast in half long wise and shingle. Spoon over the fresh berries. Add a sprig of fresh mint and sprinkle a little powdered sugar.