Megan’s Pasta with Sausage and Swiss Chard
6 oz. whole wheat pasta
2 t. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
8 oz. reduced fat Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
1 large bunch Swiss chard, cleaned, de-stemmed. Chop into 1” pieces.
1 pint spaghetti sauce, preferably homemade
1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta in lightly salted water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil.
3. Sauté the onion until it begins to lightly brown.
4. Add the garlic, cook for one minute.
5. Add the sausage, and cook, breaking it up into small pieces as you cook and stir constantly.
6. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the chopped Swiss chard to the pan.
7. Stir the Swiss chard; it should wilt completely with two minutes.
8. Add the spaghetti sauce to the pan, and allow to cook.
9. Add the drained pasta to the skillet. Stir to combine.
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 medium red onion, sliced or ¼” dice
1/2 c. golden raisins
1/2 c. reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I like Cabot creamery), shredded
2 strips bacon or turkey bacon, cooked until crisp, then crumble or mince
1/3 c. Greek yogurt
2 T. cider vinegar
2 T. honey
1/2 c. fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Blanch or steam broccoli in lightly salted water (1/2 t. salt per quart) until it is bright green. It should still be somewhat crisp.
2. Shock in ice water, then drain and place into a medium bowl.
3. Add the onion, golden raisins, cheese, and bacon.
4. Whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, honey, parsley, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, and stir to coat thoroughly.