Sugar cookie sandwiches 3 ways
Food Lion sugar cookie dough
Filling for sandwiches-
Cookie #1: Cinnamon and vanilla cream
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature (My Essentials)
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (My Essentials)
1 cup confectioners' sugar (My Essentials)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (Food Lion)
1 tbsp cinnamon (My Essentials)
Cookie #2: Salty sweet sugar cookies
Candied pecans (or plain)
Pretzel sticks (ground) (My Essentials)
Cookie #3: Triple citrus sugar cookies
• 16 tbsps unsalted butter (room temperature) (My Essentials)
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar (My Essentials)
• 1/4 cup heavy cream (My Essentials)
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
• 1 tsp lemon juice (My Essentials)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract (My Essentials)
• 1/2 tsp salt (My Essentials)
• 2 cups flour (all-purpose, plus more for rolling) (My Essentials)
• 4 tbsps unsalted butter (room temperature) (My Essentials)
• 8 ozs cream cheese (room temperature) (My Essentials)
• 11/4 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted) (My Essentials)
• 1 tsp lime (zest)
• 1 tsp orange juice (My Essentials)
• 1 pinch salt (My Essentials)
• In the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt until combined, about 1 minute.
• With mixer on low, add flour; dough will still be quite stiff at this point. Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a disk about 1/2-inch thick. Wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour (or up to 2 days, if you like).
• To make the filling, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes more. Add sugar, lemon zest, grapefruit zest, orange juice, and salt, and beat for additional 3 to 4 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
• Once dough is chilled, unwrap and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough about 1/8-inch thick and cut out using 1 1/2-inch rounds or your favorite cookie cutter. Place rounds on two lined baking sheets, allowing the cookies 1-inch space between one another.
• Bake until barely beginning to brown, 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Once cool, place about 1 teaspoon triple citrus filling between two cookies, and press gently to spread filling out evenly. If kept airtight, cookies will remain fresh for 2 to 3 days.
Chef Kellie Brown