ZUCCHINI PIRATE BOATS
Earth Day Kids Recipe
• 4 medium zucchini, hollowed out, flesh reserved and chopped
• 2 ½ T oil
• 1/2 cup finely minced onion
• Salt and black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears of corn) or frozen corn
• 2 small zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 8 small cherry or grape tomatoes
• 4 (4 to 6-inch) skewers
• 2 zucchini slices, halved
• 2 green onions, green parts only
Boats: Bring a medium saucepan with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes until slightly tender. Remove the zucchini and set them aside to cool. Carefully scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves with a small spoon. Reserve the cored halves and the insides for the boat's filling.
Filling: Saute onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the reserved zucchini filling and cubed zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the corn, cilantro, tomato and stir occasionally until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Masts: Thread 2 cherry tomatoes onto each skewer and top with a half slice of zucchini. and a little piece of green onion.
Fill the zucchini boats with the filling and insert a mast in the end of each boat. Arrange the boats on a serving platter and serve.
Makes 4 servings
Great way to celebrate Earth Day and get kids to have fun while eating their veggies.