Baked Chicken Parmesan
For the sauce:
¼ cup olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic gloves, minced
1-2 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, fileted in half, thinly pounded
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
¼ cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade for garnish
For the Sauce:
1. Over medium-high heat, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onions to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent.
2. Add minced garlic to the pan and continue stirring until garlic is fragrant, about a minute.
3. Pour tomatoes into the pan and bring the contents to a gentle simmer.
4. Simmer the sauce for at least 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. The longer it cooks the more developed the flavor gets. If you are planning on simmering the sauce for an extended period of time, add another can of tomatoes.
5. Stir basil into the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
6. Puree the sauce with an immersion blender or standing blender.
7. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
For the Chicken:
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a metal rack on top of it.
2. Place pounded chicken breasts in buttermilk to marinate for 20 minutes. While the chicken is marinating, mix together Parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
3. Remove a filet from the buttermilk and place in the shallow dish of breadcrumbs. Coat each side of the chicken breast and place on wire rack. Repeat with each remaining filet. Do not stack the breaded filets or do this step too far ahead of time to keep the breading from getting mushy and falling off.
4. Once all filets are breaded, spray each filet with olive oil cooking spray.
5. Bake the breaded chicken for 20 minutes, until well-done and the internal temperature registers at 165.
6. Top each filet with two tablespoons of tomato sauce, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 2 minutes.
1. In a medium casserole dish, place pasta on the bottom of the dish. Top the pasta with tomato sauce. Top tomato sauce with chicken filets and sprinkle with basil chiffonades.
2. Or, serve with individual portions of spaghetti, topped with sauce and chicken.