Black-eye Pea Risotto:
Yield- 2 each portioned entree servings
• 6 cup Black-eye peas (Frozen)
• ½ cup Smoked Cheddar, shredded
• ½ cup Smoked Gouda, peel rind off and shred
• ¾ cup Parmesan, shredded
• 1 TBSP Garlic, chopped
• 3 TBSP Yellow onion, small diced
• 3 cup Vegetable stock
• 4 TBSP Butter, softened
• To Taste Kosher salt & black pepper
• White wine (any brand will do)
• 1 tsp Olive oil
1) First in a medium pot, add water. Then when the water comes to a boil add the black-eye peas straight in from the freezer. And blanch them till they are al dente and cool. This can be the day before; if needed.
2) In a medium size stock pot in high heat add the 1tsp of oil and 1 tsp of softened butter. Add the garlic and the diced onion until the onions are translucent. Then deglaze with the white wine. Then add the black-eye peas and stir well.
3) Then add ½ cup of the vegetable stock a little at a time and consistently stir the risotto. Continue to add ½ cup of the vegetable stock to the black-eye peas and keep consistently stirring the risotto. When you get to the last ½ cup get ready to add the 3 cheese into the risotto and when the liquid is about half way, then add half of the cheese and stir consistently and turn the heat down to medium and once you see it start to melt then add the rest and when all is thoroughly melted turn off the heat and pull the pot off the burner adjust to your palate with the salt & pepper and add 3 TBSP of soft butter.