Charlotte Today is partnering with Charlotte Parent Magazine for the Fit Family Challenge.
Over the next few months we’ll be following two families as they work to make healthy changes in their lives.
You can make the same changes at home. Here are a few ideas..
• Do it together. Get your kids involved in new healthy habits as a way to spend time together, and you can even make it educational. Learning to measure out quantities for recipes is a fun hands-on math activity.
• Get creative. Fitness isn't always about spending time in the gym. Everyday activities that get you moving can be just as beneficial. Gardening, cleaning the house, climbing the stairs and pushing a stroller can all count as physical activities.
• Try new things. Explore a new hiking trail. Grow a garden. Sample new foods at a farmers market. Getting healthy is about exploring new possibilities.
• Set goals. "Once you forget your goal and lose focus, you're just treading water," says local fitness expert Paul Sklar. Post goals next to your bed or on the bathroom mirror so you see them each day.
• Celebrate small victories. Track your progress and reward your successes with a fun family activity like a movie night or a camping trip. Having something to look forward to holds everyone accountable.
Here is a link to the Fit Family Challenge Blog:
And also link for blog's RSS feed: