½ cup almond milk
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 shallots, sliced very thin
1 cup gluten-free flour
¼ cup olive oil
1 pinch of salt
2 cups almond milk
4 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
12 oz baby yellow squash (8 to 10), sliced in half
12 oz baby zucchini (8 to 10) sliced in half
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, rosemary and oregano
1. To make crispy shallots: in a bowl, combine almond milk and vinegar. (Don’t be alarmed when vinegar curdles the milk.) Add shallots and toss to mix, letting them sit for 2 to 4 minutes.
2. Gently remove shallots and toss in gluten-free flour. Shake in a mesh strainer to remove excess flour.
3. In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until it begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes. Add shallots, and cook, flipping with tongs until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon, and place on paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
4. To make casserole: in a small saucepan, combine almond milk and chia seeds. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until chia seeds soften and milk thickens and reduces, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, cooking slowly until onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add squash, zucchini, salt and pepper; cook until squash is fork tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Add thickened almond milk and fresh herbs to saucepan. Serve topped with crispy shallots.