Sweet Tea Brined Chicken
• 2 family sized tea bags
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup kosher salt
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 lemon, thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 sprigs rosemary
• 1 Tablespoon crushed black pepper
• 2 cups ice cubes
• 3-4 pounds chicken pieces -(skin on, bone in)
1. Boil 4 cups of water, add tea bags, and steep for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in sugar and salt until completely dissolved. Add onion, lemon, garlic, and rosemary. Add ice and cool completely. Put the chicken into plastic bags and let sit in the brine for 24 hours.
3. Take the chicken out of the brine, and throw the brine away. Dry the chicken off with paper towels. Heat to medium, but only on one side. Put the chicken skin side down, on the side that is not lit. Weird, but it works. Cover the grill and cook for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked through.
4. About 10 minutes before the chicken is ready to come off, throw on some lemons that have been cut in half and asparagus.
Grilled French Onions
Prep. 10 min
Cook. 45 min
4 large Vidalia onions
4 beef bouillon cubes
4 tablespoons butter
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to medium high.
Trim and slice from the top of each onion, and peel the onion without cutting off the root end. Using a melon baller, scoop a small round shaped section from the center of the onion. Cut the onion into quarters from the top down, stopping within a 1/2-inch of the root end. Place a bouillon cube in the center of each onion, slip slivers of butter between the sections, and sprinkle with pepper and Worcestershire. Wrap each onion in heavy duty foil and place the onions directly onto the hot coals or on grill grates of gas grill. Cook the onions for 45 minutes.
To serve, place each onion in individual bowl because the onions will produce a lot of broth, which tastes a lot like French onion soup!
For added “Wow factor" open foil and add Swiss or gruyere cheese and a few croutons for a French onion soup!