Swiss Chard Chipotle Tacos (Tacos de Acelgas con Chipotle)
Serves 4 (8 tacos)
1 T. Olive Oil
1 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onion
8 cups chopped Swiss chard, about 1 bunch
½ c. Water or low-sodium chicken stock
1 T. chipotle chile puree (or to taste)
8 white or yellow corn tortillas
2 oz Queso Fresco - grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, sprinkle with salt, cover and reduce heat to low.
3. Allow the onions to cook until they are golden brown and caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Add the Swiss chard and water or stock, and replace the lid.
5. Allow to cook for 10 minutes until the Swiss chard is completely wilted.
6. Remove the lid and allow any excess water to evaporate.
7. Add the chipotle chile puree.
8. Heat tortillas on a comal or skillet until lightly browned.
9. Fill tortillas with greens and serve with 1 T. queso fresco on each taco.
Quick Pickled Red Onions
1 medium red onion
½ t. Salt
¼ t. dried oregano
2 whole allspice or cloves
¼ c. white vinegar
½ c. freshly squeezed lime juice (from approximately 4 limes)
1 jalapeño or habanero chile (optional)
1. Cut the ends off of the onions, cut them in half, and peel off the papery outer layers.
2. Slice the onions very thinly (1/8”) on a slicer.
3. Toss the onion slices in a bowl with the salt and oregano to coat. The salt will begin to draw the moisture out of the onions and make them soft.
4. Pack the onions and chile (if using) into a glass pint jar.
5. Bring the vinegar and lime juice to a boil, and pour over the onions in the jar.
6. Cover with a lid and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes, then store in the refrigerator.