Go See Bobby Deen
Barnes and Noble
Carolina Place Mall
Veggie Mac and Cheese Casserole
Less cheese and a lot more vegetables: That’s the secret behind this delicious casserole. It all works thanks to the Greek yogurt, which makes the end product unbelievably creamy and outrageously decadent, even though it’s fat-free. And by using two strong-tasting cheeses like gruyère and Parmesan, you won’t even notice that the cheese is slashed by more than half the usual amount.
1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup shredded gruyère cheese
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into florets, large florets halved
1 large head broccoli (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into florets, large florets halved
1 package (13 1/4 ounces) whole-grain fusilli
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 tablespoons whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mustard, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Stir in the gruyère and Parmesan.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the water with a slotted spoon, and transfer them to a large bowl.
4. Return the water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions. About a minute before the pasta is finished cooking, add the peas and cook until heated through. Drain the peas and pasta, re- serving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, and transfer them to the bowl containing the cauliflower and broccoli.
5. Add the yogurt mixture and 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water to the pasta and veggie mixture, and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is well combined; add more pasta water if it seems a little dry. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with the panko and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Count based on 6 servings: 341 calories, 18g protein, 4g fat, 65g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, 353mg sodium
From Bobby Deen's Everyday Eats