- This popular summer pie is surprisingly simple to prepare - takes less than 30 minutes -
and the ingredients can all be kept in your pantry
- Traditionally uses a graham cracker crust - make your own or purchased
- Key limes are smaller with a fruitier flavor - but limes can be substituted
- Key lime juice is also available at grocery stores and can save some time
- Make sure you beat the yolks long enough to get well aerated, don't shortcut
- Sweetened Condensed Milk is very thick and easier to work with if you first empty the can into a measuring cup
- The baking time may seem short but in fact, the lime juice reacts with the milk causing the mixture to set on its own. Fight the tendency to overbake. Filling should remain glossy
- Whipped cream trim on the edges accented with lime zest gives that special eye appeal
KEY LIME PIE
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoons grated Key lime zest (2 limes - or make extra for garnish)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice (about 18 to 20 Key limes)
- graham cracker crust
- Sweetened whipped cream for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place egg yolks and lime zest in a bowl and beat on high speed for at last 5 minutes, until the mixture is very glossy. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk in a steady stream and beat until thickened, another 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add Key lime juice, beating only until combined.
Pour the lime mixture into the graham cracker crust. Bake about 12 minutes until filling has barely set. Remove from oven and let slowly cool until it is room temperature. Refrigerate.
Garnish with whipped cream.