Thai Chicken Skewers
13 1/2 fl oz light coconut milk
2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped, or to taste
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Thai curry paste
1 tsp ginger root, fresh, grated
1 tsp lime zest
3/4 tsp table salt
2 spray(s) cooking spray
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), pounded thin, cut crosswise on the diagonal into 16 strips
• In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, cilantro, sugar, curry paste, ginger, lime zest and salt until blended; set 1 cup of coconut milk mixture aside for dipping sauce.
• Transfer remaining coconut milk mixture to a resealable plastic food storage bag (or shallow glass container with cover). Add chicken to bag (or container), seal and turn to coat; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
• Meanwhile, soak sixteen 18-inch wooden skewers in water for 20 to 30 minutes (to prevent scorching).
• Preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan rack with nonstick aluminum foil (or use a nonstick baking sheet coated with cooking spray).
• Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread one piece of chicken onto each skewer and place on prepared pan; coat with cooking spray. Broil, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
• Meanwhile, bring reserved sauce to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Arrange skewers on serving platter. Spoon sauce into a bowl for dipping. Yields 2 skewers and about 1 tablespoon sauce per serving.
BLT Dip with Poppy Seed Tortilla Chips
4 large flour tortilla(s)
1 large egg white(s), lightly beaten
2 tsp poppy seeds
4 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon
3/4 cup(s) light sour cream
1/4 cup(s) reduced-calorie mayonnaise
3 Tbsp (chopped) uncooked onion(s), sweet-variety, finely chopped
1 tsp apple cider vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
3/4 cup(s) fresh tomato(es), fresh, diced
1/2 cup(s) arugula, thinly shredded
1 Tbsp fresh tomato(es), fresh, diced (for garnish)
1/8 cup(s) arugula, thinly shredded (for garnish)
• To make chips, place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Brush one side of each tortilla with egg white and then sprinkle with poppy seeds. Using a pizza slicer or a knife, cut each tortilla into 10 wedges; place on prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until slightly golden and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes; remove chips to a wire rack to cool.
• Meanwhile, to make dip, cook turkey bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and then tear or chop into small pieces; set aside.
• In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, onion, vinegar, salt and pepper until blended. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon for garnish. Add remaining bacon, 3/4 cup tomato and 1/2 cup arugula to sour cream mixture; stir until combined. Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and refrigerate at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
• Garnish dip with remaining bacon, tomato and arugula just before serving; serve with chips. Yields 5 chips and about 1/4 cup dip per serving.