Pappardelle with Peas, Prosciutto and Fresh Herbs
For a vegetarian option, leave out the prosciutto.
½ lb. pappardelle pasta
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 leek, white and very light green part, thinly sliced, cleaned well
5 oz. frozen peas, thawed
¼ cup fresh dill, minced
2 tablespoons basil, minced
6 slices prosciutto, cut into 1 inch pieces
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Juice from half a lemon
1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
1. In a saucepan, prepare pappardelle according to package directions. Be sure salt the water before adding the pasta.
2. In another medium sauté pan, over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the prosciutto until brown and crispy. Transfer the prosciutto to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Add the remaining oil and the garlic to the pan and continue cooking over medium heat. Removed the garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon once it turns golden brown. Add the leeks to the pan and sauté them over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the peas to the pan and stir to mix well.
4. Sprinkle basil and dill over the peas and leeks. Stir in red pepper, salt and pepper.
5. Drain the pappardelle pasta in a colander once it is cooked to al dente. Toss the noodles into the sauté pan with the peas, leeks and herbs. Be sure to coat all the pasta with the herbs and oil. Sprinkle the pasta with lemon juice and lemon zest. Toss once more and serve with prosciutto pieces sprinkled over top.