- 1 1/2 pounds fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
· In a medium-sized bowl, stir the drained ricotta, 1 cup of the flour, the eggs, chive, salt, pepper and nutmeg together gently but thoroughly until a soft dough forms, adding a little more of the flour if the dough is sticky to the touch.
· To form the gnocchi roll the mixture into balls with well-floured hands, using about 1 tablespoons ricotta mixture for each ball.
· Place the gnocchi on a baking sheet lined with a lightly-floured kitchen towel.
· Gently put as many gnocchi at a time as will float freely into a medium pot of boiling water, stirring gently.
· Cook until the gnocchi rise to the surface, about 6-7 minutes. Scoop them out with a wire skimmer as soon as they are cooked.
· Drain and add your favorite sauce.