Yield approx. 28 cookies OR 14 finished Ice cream sandwiches
• 1 and 1/4 sticks butter
• 1/8 cup shortening
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1 teaspoon maple syrup
• 1 large egg
• 2 and 1/4 cups flour
• 1 tablespoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 teaspoon cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 1/8 teaspoon instant espresso powder
• 1/2 cup raw sugar, for rolling
• More white sugar, for sprinkling
1. Beat the butter and shortening in a large bowl or stand mixer until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add sugar and beat thoroughly.
3. Add the molasses, maple syrup and egg and beat well, scraping sides.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a separate bowl.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat until the dough is just coming together. Make sure the flour is incorporated and then stop.
6. Chill the dough for about an hour, or several days if you like.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
8. Roll into balls. I made mine 1 and 1/2 inches and got 28 cookies. You can also use a small cookie scoop or melon baller for this step!
9. Place 1/2 cup raw sugar (white sugar is fine) in a shallow bowl. Roll the cookies in the sugar.
10. Line the cookies up on the prepared sheets, at least a couple inches apart.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. If you want them super snappy, leave them in a couple minutes longer.
12. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with regular white sugar.