½ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ cup chilled unsalted butter or coconut oil, cut to cubes
2 Tbsp. cold water (more as needed)
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Combine flours and salt in a large bowl or food processor.
2. Incorporate the cold butter or coconut oil into the flour using a pastry cutter, or pulsing the food processor, until it is course like rice.
3. Combine water with vinegar and slowly work enough into the dough to bring it together. Pack it firmly into plastic wrap, press to create a disk shape and chill for about 30 minutes.
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg (or 15 grates of a nutmeg clove)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
One (2 pound average) pumpkin
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
½ cup ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
Zest of 1 orange
6 sage leaves
Salt and pepper
- Combine cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel the pumpkin using a ribbon peeler, then cut it in half and core out the seeds. Dice the half-moon slices into ½ ” pieces and place in a bowl.
- Toss the pumpkin with the spice mix and coconut oil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the parmesan, orange zest, minced sage, egg and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss apples with the sugar and lemon juice. Remove the top parchment paper and
egg-wash: 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp milk
Ideas for Garnish: Balsamic glaze and toasted nuts
1. Roll dough between two sheets of flour-dusted parchment paper until the circle is about 1/8” thick and 12” to 14” in diameter.
2. Transfer to a baking sheet and then slowly peel the top piece of parchment away.
3. Spread the ricotta cheese filling over the crust, like a pizza, leaving 1½” around the diameter. Cover the circle of ricotta preserves with the diced pumpkin, then gently fold the sides of the pastry dough around the apples, overlapping slightly.
4. Whisk the egg-wash and brush over the pastry crust and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for another 20 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes, then slice and serve with preferred garnish.