Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Avocado & Grapefruit Glaze
10 strips of bacon (Windy Hill Farm)
1 lb. NC white shrimp (16/20s), peeled and deveined
1 to 2 avocado, diced in large 1” pieces
Bamboo skewers soaked in water 30 minutes (or metal ones)
½ bulb fresh green garlic or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large ruby red grapefruit
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp salt, more to taste
1 tsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp. water to make a slurry
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Lay out the bacon on a roasting rack set over a sheet; if you do not have a roasting rack, line the pan with aluminum foil and lay out the bacon. Cook for 10 minutes to render most of the fat and par-cook the bacon. Remove from the oven, remove the bacon from the fat if it was directly on the pan, if it was on the roasting rack then leave it there. Cook to room temp.
3. Meanwhile, make the glaze… combine garlic, zest and juice of the grapefruit, ginger, honey, coconut oil and salt in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Add the cornstarch and whisk to incorporate. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until thick. Turn off heat and reserve glaze.
4. Cut the cooled bacon strips in half.
Thread the skewers by wrapping a piece of shrimp with a piece of bacon and inserting the skewer in the seam to keep the bacon in place. Thread a piece of avocado between each shrimp and repeat to fill the skewer, leave enough room on each end to rotate on the grill.
1. Heat the grill on medium-high until it reaches 500-525°F. Place the skewer on the grill and cook on each side for 3 minutes. This time can vary based on the heat, but once the shrimp become opaque, turn to the other side and repeat. Remove and place on a platter and glaze the skewer as soon as it is off the grill, while hot.
2. Serve skewer with additional glaze. And garnished with cilantro.
© 2017 WCNC.COM