Quick Chive and Cheddar Biscuits
So quick to make, these are considered ‘drop biscuits’. They are fabulous hot, right out of the oven.
- 1 stick butter, cubed and very cold
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped chives (or green onions)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut butter into cubes and set in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.\
Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and chives. ‘Cut’ the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers, until it looks like cornmeal. Quickly, mix in the buttermilk until a shaggy dough forms. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and drop biscuit dough, about the size of a ping pong ball, onto the tray. Bake until lightly golden, about 12 minutes, then remove from oven and scatter shredded cheese over tops. Place back in the oven and bake just until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.
West African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
You won’t believe how delicious this soup is! The spice is not overpowering—but you can leave it out, if you have a delicate palate.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons sambal oelek (or ½-1 red pepper flakes)
- 1 cup natural (unsweetened) peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 lime cut into wedges
Pour chicken broth into a large soup pot and set over high heat. Add in sweet potatoes, onions, celery and sambal oelek. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat, add in peanut butter and puree with an immersion blender (or by transferring to a blender), season with salt and serve with lime wedges to squeeze.
Copyright 2016 WCNC