Makes 10-12 scones
Recipe by Chef Alyssa of Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- ¼ cup cold buttermilk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or water, for egg wash
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a sheet tray, or line it with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. With a pastry cutter or your fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Form a well in the center of the crumbs and pour in the milk and syrup. By hand or with a rubber spatula, fold all of the ingredients together to form a soft and slightly tacky dough. Work quickly and do not over-mix, just enough to bring everything together. Fold in the blueberries and rosemary.
3. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll the dough out until it is a 1 ¼” tall rectangle. Slice the rectangle down the middle, then into triangles. Place scones onto the baking dish and glaze the tops with the egg-wash and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the scones are lightly golden.
4. Combine all ingredients for the glaze and drizzle on the scones once they cool slightly.
© 2017 WCNC.COM