Weeknight Roasted Tomato Pasta, serves 6
So easy, this recipe uses many ingredients you may already have on hand. Make sure to use the entire tin of anchovies! Trust me, they add so much flavor without any fishy taste. Even meteorologist, John Wendel (a confirmed anchovy hater) proclaimed this dish to be, “Outstanding!”
~ Chef Jenny
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, pierced with the tip of a sharp knife
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt flakes
- 1 tin anchovy filets, (chopped) plus their oil
- 1 box (16 oz) cork screw pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 3 fat garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 bag or box frozen spinach
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on desired heat and altogether optional)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1, 8 oz ball mozzarella, cut into cubes (or 8 oz shredded mozzarella)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly (use all of the onions, including the dark green parts)
Set a large pot of hot, salted water on to boil (covered and over high heat).
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss pierced tomatoes (piercing the tomatoes prevents them from exploding in the oven) with 3 tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Layer them on a sided baking tray and roast until they just crack and start to collapse, stirring once or twice during cooking, about 20 minutes.
Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add in 2 tablespoon olive oil and once hot, add in chopped anchovy filets plus their oil, cover immediately and shake the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for just one minute until the anchovies have disintegrated then, add in garlic and sauté one more minute then, add in frozen spinach and red pepper flakes. Cover the pan and stir occasionally to break up spinach as it thaws. Cook just until spinach is fully thawed and hot.
Cook pasta according to package directions, saving ½ cup of cooking water just before draining the pasta.
Add rinsed and drained beans and pasta water to the spinach and pour in remaining olive oil.
Toss spinach mixture with pasta, mozzarella cheese, roasted tomatoes and their delicious juices, and sliced green onions. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
Copyright 2016 WCNC