Police: Deficiencies with pool heater blamed for carbon monoxide leak

Police: Deficiencies with pool heater blamed for carbon monoxide leak

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com staff

WCNC.com

Posted on June 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Updated Thursday, Jun 13 at 5:38 AM

BOONE, N.C. – The Boone Police Department says a carbon monoxide leak likely came from the pool water heater under room 225 at a Best Western hotel where three people died in recent months.

Local investigators worked with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Wednesday, along with the N.C. State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors to examine the Best Western on East King Street.

In a press conference Wednesday evening, police said the exhaust system for the heater had multiple deficiencies and carbon monoxide leaked into the room at several points, including through the wall mount HVAC unit and through an opening underneath the gas fireplace.

Officials are urging anyone who stayed in room 225 to contact the Boone Police Department immediately at 828-268-6900 or email Sgt. Matt Stevens at matt.stevens@townofboone.net.   

The leak is blamed for three recent deaths, which all occurred in the same room of the hotel. A couple died there in April. An 11-year-old boy died over the weekend. Police say they’ve heard from cities around the country in the days since the boy’s death about “remarkably similar” incidents. They say they would urge lawmakers to change currently policy and enforce the addition of carbon monoxide detectors in hotels.

The police department adds there are still many questions to be answered and the investigation is ongoing.

Print
Email
|