CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Mayor Anthony Foxx announced today that he will not seek re-election, according to a statement released by his office.
The statement did not say what he plans to do after leaving office.
“My grandfather often paraphrased the book of Ecclesiastes when he said, ‘There is a season for everything under the sun,’” Foxx said in his statement this morning. “I remember his words as I announce today my decision not to run for re-election.”
Foxx has been mayor of Charlotte since 2009 and is currently serving his second term in office.
According to a Bloomberg News report last month, President Obama is considering Foxx for Secretary of Transportation.
Back in January, current transportation secretary Ray LaHood said he would be stepping down once a successor is chosen.
The report also said that the president is considering several other candidates. Mayor Foxx has been a major supporter of both the light rail and streetcar projects in Charlotte.
"I am happy being mayor of Charlotte. I'm having a good time with it. I'm looking forward to continuing the work we are doing," Foxx told NBC Charlotte on March 23.
In Foxx's statement, he talks about his political success as mayor of Charlotte, and identifies certain challenges the city and his office still face during his second term.
“Over the next 60 to 90 days, we face critical decisions that, for good or ill, will mark our future for many years to come,” Foxx said.
Foxx talked about the Charlotte airport governance in which City Council could lose control of the airport and establish it as a regional airport authority.
Also, the Bank of America Stadium upgrades in which the Panthers are seeking public money for renovations.
Finally, he talked about the long-term transit plans for the city, which will be addressed later this month.
Click here to read Foxx's full statement.