Firemen narrowly escape floor collapse in Gastonia

Firemen narrowly escape floor collapse in Gastonia

Credit: Gastonia Fire Department

Firemen narrowly escape floor collapse in Gastonia

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com Staff

WCNC.com

Posted on May 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Updated Monday, May 26 at 3:00 PM

GASTONIA, N.C. -- Two people were able to escape a house fire in Gastonia Monday morning before the floor of a bedroom collapsed into the basement below.

The Gastonia Fire Department responded to the house fire in the 2500 block of Georgemont Court in Gastonia around 10:30 Monday morning.

As crews arrived on the scene, heavy smoke was showing from the rear of the home. When firefighters entered the structure, they encountered heavy fire in the basement.

(Click here to view scene photos)

Fire crews battled the blaze in the basement for about 10 minutes, while search and rescue checked out the remaining rooms of the home. During their search, the structural integrity of the floor of the bedroom directly above the basement was questioned, and command ordered an immediate evacuation.

Just as all the firemen exited the burning building, the floor of the upstairs bedroom collapsed into the basement.

No one was injured.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire, but were able to quickly escape.

The Gastonia Fire Department estimates the damages to the home to be in the $200,000 range.

An electrical issue with a golf cart plugged in for charging in the basement of the home is blamed for the fire.

Print
Email
|