Gov't rests in Phylicia Barnes case

Gov't rests in Phylicia Barnes case

Gov't rests in Phylicia Barnes case

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

WCNC.com

Posted on February 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Baltimore prosecutors have rested their case against a man accused of killing a North Carolina teenager. 

Circuit Court Judge Alfred Nance said he'll let the case against Michael Maurice Johnson continue, even though he says he's concerned the evidence presented is circumstantial.  

Defense lawyers now get to present their case. 

Johnson is accused in the 2010 slaying of 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes. The teenager from Monroe, N.C., was visiting relatives in Baltimore when she disappeared. Her body was found in the Susquehanna River months after she went missing.   

Among the witnesses so far have been the teenager's older sister and a man who says Johnson called him for help in getting rid of her body. 

Johnson's lawyers have said there is no DNA evidence linking their client to the crime. 
 

Print
Email
|