CHARLOTTE, N.C. – An elderly woman was injured after a fire ripped through her home Monday night.
The fire happened shortly before 9 p.m. Monday on Porter Street.
According to the Charlotte Fire Department, two people were able to make it out safely and alerted firefighters that the woman was still trapped inside.
(click here to see photos)
“Firefighters went to the bedroom window and removed her through the window,” said Captain Rob Brisley with the Charlotte Fire Department.
Brisley tells NBC Charlotte, when crews arrived nearly the entire home was engulfed in flames.
“The firefighters couldn’t rescue her through the front door,” said Brisley.
The victim was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to Medic.
The cost of the damage is estimated to cost $80,000. Officials believe the fire started in the kitchen after food was left cooking on the stove.
Thirty-five firefighters were able to douse the blaze in less than 30 minutes.