CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney and new running mate U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan will arrive in Charlotte on Saturday evening, with the pair scheduled to make joint appearances at a previously-announced bus tour through the state.
Romney announced on Saturday that he’d chosen Ryan, a Wisconsin congressman, as his No. 2.
The selection drew praise from many Republicans, including those in the Carolinas. The Romney campaign called the pairing “America’s Comeback Team.” Some Democrats, however, described the Romney-Paul ticket as the “Go Back Team.”
The Romney campaign previously announced that the former Massachusetts governor would be in North Carolina on Sunday for a day-long bus tour. On Saturday, the campaign said Ryan would join him on the trip.
The bus tour will make three stops in the state, including at 10 a.m. Sunday at the NASCAR Technical Institute in Mooresville. Additional stops will occur in High Point and Morrisville.
Democrats are holding a counter-bus tour, with stops earlier Saturday in Raleigh and Greensboro. That tour – with speakers such as Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx – is expected to stop at the UNC Charlotte campus at 4:15 p.m.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to the Romney-Ryan ticket
• “Rep. Paul Ryan is a natural choice for America’s Comeback Team. Rep. Ryan is a leader who has shown the courage to propose real solutions to the problems we face as a nation. Like Mitt Romney, Rep. Ryan believes that while we face difficult decisions that America’s best days lie before us. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work for the election of a team of leaders who will put America back on the right track” – MeckGOP Chairman Gideon Moore.
• “In naming Congressman Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney has chosen a leader of the House Republicans who shares his commitment to the flawed theory that new budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthy, while placing greater burdens on the middle class and seniors, will somehow deliver a stronger economy. The architect of the radical Republican House budget, Ryan, like Romney, proposed an additional $250,000 tax cut for millionaires, and deep cuts in education from Head Start to college aid. His plan also would end Medicare as we know it by turning it into a voucher system, shifting thousands of dollars in health care costs to seniors. As a member of Congress, Ryan rubber-stamped the reckless Bush economic policies that exploded our deficit and crashed our economy. Now the Romney-Ryan ticket would take us back by repeating the same, catastrophic mistakes.” – Obama for America Campaign Manager Jim Messina
• Excellent choice of @reppaulryan by @mittromney. Looking forward to having America’s Comeback Team in NC tomorrow – N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Cornelius, on Twitter
• “Romney’s got a big enough task trying to explain why he’s got a Swiss bank account, why he won’t release his tax returns and why his company was a major proponent of outsourcing American jobs. And now he’s got to explain the incredibly unpopular and unwise Ryan Plan. That’s a tough lift for any politician.” – Gerrick Brenner, Progress North Carolina Action executive director.
• ”WE now officially have a Dream Team of solutions: Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan! Both of these men understand its not about complaining and blaming, but producing results for the people of our great country. The race is on: Romney/Ryan vs Obama/Biden.” – S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley, Republican
• “The addition of Paul Ryan to the ticket is a great selection. As an avid hunter and fisherman, he’s someone who I’ve gotten to know very well over the years. His brilliance and understanding of economics is a perfect complement to Governor Romney’s private sector experience. Paul is a devoted father and husband who deeply cares about tackling the toughest issues facing America today. I look forward to this November, when North Carolina will vote to elect Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan – and the American Comeback can truly begin!” – Robin Hayes, N.C. GOP Chairman.