Power restored in Clover after planned Duke Energy outage

Credit: Kevin Ridley

Thousands in Clover brace for planned power outage in record breaking heat

Print
Email
|

by DIANA RUGG / NewsChannel 36 Staff

Bio | Email | Follow: @DianaRuggwcnc

WCNC.com

Posted on June 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Updated Friday, Nov 1 at 4:13 AM

CLOVER, S.C. --Power is restored to thousands in Clover Sunday morning after Duke Energy conducted a three hour planned outage.

Duke Energy shut down power to about 3,600 customers from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. Sunday to make repairs on a nearby power substation.

Saturday evening, Jeffrey Adams mopped his brow with his T-shirt as he talked about how he would cope without air conditioning on a night that followed two 100-plus degree days.

"If the humidity picks up any, no it will be terrible then,” said Adams.  “It'll get hot and muggy, (I) won't be able to sleep."

Duke Energy spokesman Jason Walls said the company delayed most of its planned outages, but the Clover repairs couldn’t wait. 

Walls said the equipment needed to be replaced or risked shutting down on its own, which meant power would likely be out for a longer period of time, and perhaps during the day when temperatures are higher.

Adams said he understands the work has to be done, he just believes the timing could have been better.

"Probably should have waited until the temperatures came down a little bit with the forecast, or did it before it got this hot," he said.

Angie McClure is doing her best to prepare the kids.  She has had her window A/C unit turned down to 60 degrees to chill the house as much as possible before the power goes out.

She also thinks Duke could have planned the outage earlier in the year when it wouldn’t fall during the summer months – but plans to make the best of it.

"Hopefully we can try to beat the heat,” she said. “Keep the house cool all day, keep the doors closed -- that we might be good tonight."



 

Print
Email
|