CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Neighbors are anxious after a young couple was found dead in their northwest Charlotte home around 9:30 a.m. Friday.
Hours later, police still haven’t said how they died.
Like most of his neighbors, Boyce Nixon is anxious for answers about the tragic mystery on his street.
"I got out of bed and I looked across the street, and there were two fire trucks in that driveway,” he says.
That was a gas leak, a ruptured line that apparently leaked all night. Some neighbors wondered if that had anything to do with what happened just an hour later and right next door, when the man and woman were found dead.
"It's kind of unusual. We hadn't had any trouble here. I don't know that this is trouble either, but it seems strange to find two people passed away," Nixon told us.
Police say a relative found the husband and wife, both in their 20s, dead in their house on Mount Holly Huntersville Road.
Firefighters tell NBC Charlotte they were called in to look for an environmental hazard. They check for carbon monoxide but say there wasn’t any.
Neighbors figured it was something like that because the people living in the home often used their fireplace.
"We won’t be at ease again until we know what’s happened," Nixon said.