NEW YORK (AP) -- Authorities say a pair of gunrunners smuggled firearms into New York City by stashing weapons in their luggage on discount buses.
Among the 19 charged in the 552-count indictment were Walter Walker, of Sanford, N.C., and Earl Campbell of Rock Hill.
The Office of the Special Narcotics Prosecutor for the City of New York said in a statement Monday that Walker and Campbell personally transported the guns to New York City, operated independently of one another, but utilized the same Brooklyn-based broker, Omole Adedji.
The case involved 254 guns purchased by an undercover officer in 45 transactions since last year.
Authorities said Walker and Campbell typically smuggled the weapons on Chinatown-bound buses known for their cheap fares.
Investigators say once the men arrived in New York City, a middleman, Adedji, brokered sales for guns at three times their original value.
Some of the transactions allegedly took place in a Brooklyn recording studio. One of the studio's operators has been charged.
Including Campbell, eight of the 19 charged in the 10-month undercover operation are residents of Rock Hill.
Sixteen of the 19 indicted have been arrested since August 2. The remaining three, according to authorities, were already incarcerated on unrelated charges.
Rock Hill Police and the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office assisted various other entities in the operation.
Other Carolinians named in the indictment are as follows:
- Larick Michaux, of Rock Hill
- Warquisha Michaux, of Rock Hill
- Kendall Danielle Jones, of Rock Hill
- Christopher Seagraves, of Sanford, N.C.
- Tajammal Sharief Brown, of Goldsboro - Currently held in Polk Correctional Institution
- Cordero Rollins, of Sanford N.C.
- Marcell Lydell Dyess, II, of Rock Hill
- Arther Antonio Barber, of Rock Hill
- Chris Hill, of Rock Hill
- Brandon Rashad Potts, of Rock Hill
- Tarell Francheon Flow, of Sanford, N.C.
- Iesha Carmichael, of Sanford, N.C.
- Jeremiah Devon McDouglad, of Broadway, N.C.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.