Boy grazed by bullet lost father in 2004 drive-by shooting

Boy grazed by bullet lost father in 2004 drive-by shooting

Print
Email
|

by DIANA RUGG / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @DianaRuggwcnc

WCNC.com

Posted on July 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jan 8 at 12:17 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A 12-year-old boy grazed by a bullet in a north Charlotte neighborhood lost his father in a drive-by shooting eight years ago, his mother said Sunday.

Antonio Staten’s leg is wrapped in gauze where the bullet ricocheted off a building in Dillehay Courts and hit him.  His mother is angry someone would fire at a building where children were playing.

“I'm angry, I'm scared, and I want to move,” said Chudney James.  “I hear gunshots, and next thing I know is they were carrying my son to the house. They said he got grazed by a bullet.”

Staten said it was a drive-by shooting.

“I saw the orange car. It came by two times and came to the cul-de-sac and started shooting,” he said.  “It started burning my leg.”

Police said the gunman fired three shots from the car before taking off.  They don’t believe Antonio was the intended target, said CMPD Lt. Norman Garnes. 

No additional information was available about the car or possible suspects, said Garnes.

Police evidence stickers marked where two of the shots chipped bricks on the front of the building.  Lt. Garnes said none of the shots entered apartments, and no one else appeared to be injured.

What angers Antonio’s mom the most, though, is that this is second time her family has dealt with gunfire so close to home. 

“My heart dropped because his daddy was murdered to gun violence,” she said.  “It  just brought back a lot of memories and I was scared.”

Antwon Staten and a cousin, Isaiah Wallace, were killed in a drive-by shooting on Tappen Street near The Plaza in October 2004.  They had been at a family member’s home mourning a cousin who had died of cancer the day before.

James said she hears gunfire all the time near her home on 30th Street near N. Tryon, and would like to move.  For now, though, she’s glad her son is safe.

“Bullets don't have eyes,” she said. “It could have been worse than that. I'm so glad and grateful my son is standing right here.”


In an earlier version of this story, it was reported that witnesses stated the victim was 8-years-old; since the original posting, both police and neighbors corrected that information.

Print
Email
|