Police: Armed carjacking suspects lead police on car, foot chase

Police: Armed carjacking suspects lead police on car, foot chase

Police: Armed carjacking suspects lead police on car, foot chase



Bio | Email | Follow: @RadBerkywcnc


Posted on March 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Updated Saturday, Nov 2 at 8:22 AM

MATTHEWS, N.C. --  Police said three suspects are in custody following an armed carjacking and brief chase by both vehicle and on foot on Thursday afternoon.

Officials said the victims pulled into the Quorum Business in the 7500 block of Independence Boulevard when they were approached by two armed subjects.

The suspects fled by way of the victims white Honda outbound on Independence Boulevard.

The CMPD Independence Division issued a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) on the vehicle, and a Matthews Police Officer spotted it, and a brief chase ensued. The suspect then jumped from the vehicle and led authorities on a short foot chase, but were quickly taken in to custody.

(Click here to view aerial photos of the scene)

The owner of the car told NBC Charlotte that he and the woman suspect were driving in the car together and pulled in to the business on Independence. That's when the two remaining armed suspects approached the vehicle. The Honda's owner said he told the armed men to take whatever they wanted and got out of the car. The armed suspects got in the car with the woman and fled.

The owner said the woman, whom he knows, set him up to be robbed.

Benny Ramos lives on the edge of a field off of Union West Boulevard where the chase ended. He saw the car with the police chasing it pass right in front of him.

"I opened the door. Opened it just enough and then I saw the first car race by," he said.

Ramos said the car actually went airborne as it careened across the open grass field. He also knew what the driver didn't know -- that once in that field, there was no way out for the driver.

Still, Ramos said he was taking no chances and he went and grabbed his own gun.

"Because I have five girls. These persons, they don't care," he said.

Ramos said he then kept watch until it was all over.

"I could hear them down there screaming, 'Put your gun down. Hands up. Put your gun down,'" he said.

The owner of the car was brought to the field and after police finished processing his vehicle for evidence he was allowed to drive it away,

The entire ordeal was over and nobody had been hurt.

"It's great. They got them," said Ramos.

At least a dozen marked vehicles from various entities responded to the scene in a field off Highway 74 near Union West Boulevard, where the foot chase ended. Two K-9 units were spotted assisting officers as AirStar flew over.