Testimony begins in 2008 triple murder case

Testimony begins in 2008 triple murder case


by RAD BERKY / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @RadBerkywcnc


Posted on February 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 18 at 8:24 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jurors in the triple murder trial of Justin Hurd were shown pictures of some gas cans being purchased that prosecutors say were used to start fires that were set to cover-up the grisly killings.

Hurd, who could face the death penalty if convicted, does not appear in any of the videos, so far, that have been shown to the jury.

Prosecutors say the man in the video buying the gas cans, lighters and trash bags is Nathaniel Sanders, who they say partnered with Hurd in the killings.

On the video from the first gas station, the man investigators say is Sanders, enters the store.

One of the clerks on duty that night, Fred King, told the jury, "The guy got there. He asked for some gas cans. We found him three."

Prosecutors will try to prove that Sanders and Hurd murdered Kevin Young and Kinshasa Wagstaff in Wagstaff's home on Patricia Ryan Drive, and then set the house on fire.

Indications from witnesses who have testified so far are that the murders were linked to drug dealings.

In a second video shown to the jury later in the afternoon, a man can again be seen going into a gas station near the Northlake Mall to buy gas cans.

The clerk from that store took the stand telling the jury the man appeared nervous.

"He had a busted lip and blood on his hoodie," Lamar Hutchins testified.

The prosecution team has said that the gas cans purchased in the second store were bought after the fire had been set at the house.

The body of Wagstaff's niece, Jasmine Hines was later found in Huntersville. She had been shot twice and her body had been doused in so much gasoline that she had skin burns.

Nate Sanders was never charged in the three murders.

He was shot and killed in Ohio during the summer after the murders.

While Hurd was not seen in the video, prosecutors have said his DNA was found at both crime scenes.