Posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Monday, Aug 13 at 12:12 PM
BALTIMORE -- The trial for a man accused of killing a local teen was expected to start Monday in Baltimore but now won't begin until 2013.
Michael Johnson is accused of killing Monroe teen Phylicia Barnes in 2010 while she was visiting family.
The trial was thought to begin on Monday, but a judge postponed the hearing until January 21.
Barnes, 16, disappeared while visiting Baltimore for the Christmas holidays and her body was found in the Susquehanna River months later.
Prosecutors say Johnson killed Barnes in her half-sister's apartment, then used a 35-gallon tub to move the body.
Johnson, who previously had dated Barnes' sister Deena, was the last person to see Barnes alive. Phylicia's brother, Bryan, said Johnson dated Deena for eight or nine years so he's known Johnson since he was a child.
Police say Johnson and Barnes were the only people in Deena's apartment the day the teen disappeared. Johnson told police that Barnes told him she was going out to get something to eat.
Authorities said Barnes died from asphyxiation but did release anymore details in the case.