CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Officials with the City of Charlotte have released full body camera video of an incident involving a former officer's controversial use of force following a pursuit last year.
According to CMPD, the incident occurred on March 26, 2016, and involved former officer Jon Dunham.
CMPD says Dunham chased a suspect, identified as James Yarborough, following a traffic stop. Police say that the officers chased Yarborough for more than three minutes before catching up with him.
When Dunham and other officers attempted to take the suspect into custody, police say that Dunham drew his service weapon and pointed it at him to arrest him. Investigators say that the suspect was refusing to follow repeated commands to show both of his hands to ensure that he was unarmed.
During one of the videos, Dunham can be heard saying, "I will kill you" to the suspect.
Officers recovered a gun in the vehicle where Yarborough was seating during the traffic stop, CMPD said. Yarborough was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and resisting arrest. Both of those charges were later dropped, according to CMPD.
Following an internal investigation, it was determined that Dunham’s use of force did not violate state law. It was recommended that he receive additional verbal communication and tactical training following the incident. According to CMPD, Dunham resigned prior to adjudication of the case.
CMPD Chief Kerr Putney released the following statement Wednesday:
“Anytime an officer has to engage in a use of force situation the optics are always unpleasant. We as a department hold ourselves to a high standard and believe the level of force was legally justified. I cannot defend the language, nor can I defend all of the tactics employed by one of the officers. We as an organization strive to be as restrained as possible by applying the minimal force necessary to arrest a person who is resisting.”
© 2017 WCNC.COM