Juvenile playing with lighter accidentally caused apartment fire, officials say

The 7-year-old girl sustained third-degree burns from the fire.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Investigators with Charlotte Fire’s Investigation Task Force have determined that an apartment fire that seriously burned a 7-year-old was accidentally started by a juvenile playing with a lighter.

On February 6, firefighters responded to a structure fire at the Twin Oaks Apartments in the 1100 block of East 36th Street. According to Charlotte Fire, a team of 27 firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 15 minutes. Two apartments were destroyed and another suffered heavy smoke damage.

RELATED: Officials: 7-year-old burned in NoDa apartment fire

A 7-year-old girl, identified as Katlyn Cook, was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center with burns. She is currently listed in good condition, according to officials.

In total, officials say an estimated $35,000 in damage was done by the fire.

The fire was discovered by firefighters returning to headquarters after a previous call. 

© 2017 WCNC.COM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment