CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A 12-year-old Bessemer City boy who contracted E. coli while at the Cleveland County fair last month was released from the hospital on Thursday.
Jordan McNair spent 35 days at Levine Children’s Hospital recovering after he and more than 100 other people got sick after attending the county fair.
Health officials believe the source of the outbreak is linked to the fair’s petting zoo.
McNair spent a few days home from school and then went to the hospital on October 6 where doctors first thought he had appendicitis. McNair ate two corn dogs and milked a cow at the petting zoo, according to The Shelby Star.
One of sickest ecoli victimsreleased from hospital after 35 days. Got sick at the county fair twitter.com/MichelleBoudin…— MichelleBoudin (@MichelleBoudin) November 8, 2012
McNair, a student at John Chavis Middle School in Cherryville, was in the intensive care unit for days but started to be able to breathe on his own October 20. He was able to leave the hospital on his own feet Thursday morning.
The outbreak killed a 2-year-old from Gaston County.