MATTHEWS, N.C. -- Two people were injured in a three-alarm apartment fire in Matthews Friday night.
Matthews officials say that the fire started on the first floor of an apartment where something was cooking in the kitchen.
Firefighters were called to the Berkshires of Matthews Apartments in the 1700 block of Chambers Drive near Independence Boulevard around 8:30 p.m.
Fire officials said two people were injured when they jumped from the third floor of the apartment complex.
(Click here to see images from the apartment fire)
One victim suffered life-threatening injuries and the second victim suffered non life-threatening injuries, according to MEDIC.
It took over 60 firefighters from the Matthews, Charlotte, Mint Hill and Stallings fire departments to put out the fire. Officials said 23 units were damaged during the fire.
Red Cross said they're working with the apartment complex to help the families that were affected by the fire. Red Cross volunteers were also opening a temporary shelter at Butler High School for families that were displaced.
Officials with the City of Matthews say a total of 11 people are displaced as a result of the fire. The City is asking for donations of basic care items such as toiletries, pillows, blankets, bedding and clothing.
The ages of the displaced fire victims range from early teens to mid 50s; there are four females and 7 males.
If you have a specific donation item or service that you can provide, please contact the property manager for Berkshires at Matthews, Jennifer Laney at (704) 845-1651.
Donation items are being accepted at the Matthews Police Department.