CORNELIUS, N.C. -- Parents filled the gym at Hough High School in Cornelius Wednesday night where they met with school officials and police investigators to discuss the false bomb threats that led to four lockdowns at the school and the arrests of three students in the last week.
One parent who spoke said, "We got a letter that said out kids are safe on campus. I want to know how I know that."
Police have charged three students, including a juvenile, after a suspicious package was found at the school.
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison said the recent bombings at the Boston Marathon show that the places everyone assumes are safe are not always as safe as everyone would hope.
"So I can't guarantee...that your child's safety is an automatic," Morrison told the estimated 400 people who filled the gym.
Some parents complained of getting bad information when they called the school to ask about their kids during some of the lockdowns.
The principal, Terri Cockerham, said that was one of the procedures they are looking to improve in the future.
"There was misinformation given out yesterday and one of the things we may need to look at is volunteers on the phones in the front office and eliminate that," Cockerham told parents.
Afterwards, many parents said they were satisfied with the information they were given at the meeting.
Gina Mufalli brought her daughter to the meeting.
"You can't necessarily blame the school for the people who have taken action against the school," she said.