Unlikely duo saves disabled couple from fire

The Statesville Fire Marshall is still investigating what turned the Caldwell family's home into ruins.

STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Fire Marshal is still investigating what turned the Caldwell family's home into ruins.

Sharena Caldwell suspects one of her parents' oxygen tanks exploded.

Both Barry and Dana are disabled and rely on oxygen. Dana was resting Wednesday evening when she heard a loud boom.

"I said Lord, please get me away from this house," said Dana, who was released from the hospital Wednesday morning.

The explosion sparked a fire in Barry's bed. Dana and Barry were the only people home. Fortunately, he wasn't in the room and was able to flag down some help from a familiar face passing by the burning house.

"Usually, you go out there and try to get people to stop and help you, they don't do it," says Barry but their friend, Jimmy, was the first to help remove Dana from the home.

"I wish I had something to give him because that is my angel," said Dana, who says she's known Jimmy for years but couldn't recall his last name. NBC Charlotte tried to track him down with no luck but he wasn't the only hero.

Keon Leach lives next door. The 16-year-old attends Statesville Senior High and happened to be outside when he heard the explosion.

"At first, I wasn't going to do it but something told me, just go do it," said Leach. "I just went and told my parents and I did what I had to do."

Sharena and her sister arrived home to an unlivable home, but their parents are alive thanks to two people.

"An angel sent from God," said Sharena.

"The hero part ain't even on my mind," said Leach. "I'm just glad I could save them before they could have gotten hurt."

The family is living in a hotel and they tell NBC Charlotte that they are receiving help from the Red Cross.

© 2017 WCNC.COM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment