CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A man has filed a lawsuit against the owners of a popular Dilworth cafe, claiming that he got salmonella infections after eating there.
Toast restaurant at 2400 Park Road was sued by Brian McWherter, who said he got sick after eating the eggs benedict meal on March 25. Ten others have reported to be infected as well.
McWherter is alleging he became sick about 12 hours after eating at the restaurant, and the gastrointestinal illness became worse over the following days. The suit claims his ankles, knees, wrists and elbows began to swell and he went to get medical treatment on multiple occasions.
Toast Cafe managing partner Robert Maynard said the local health department has cleared them of "any negligence in this matter." The health department most recently did a random inspection of Toast on February 28, and it received a passing score of 96.
"Our patrons, and their health, safety and satisfaction are our top priorities," Maynard said in a statement.
The lawsuit said damages are in excess of $10,000.
Click here to read the lawsuit.