SC teen dies from excessive caffeine

A warning for parents after a South Carolina teen died from an overdose of caffeine.

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Monday, a grieving father gave a passionate plea to the public after his teenager suddenly died.

"I stand before you both as a broken-hearted father and hope that something good can come from this," said Sean Cripe, Davis Cripe's father. "Parents, please talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks."

Sixteen-year-old Davis Cripe collapsed in his high school classroom last month. He later died in the emergency room.

His death was linked to caffeine.

"This amount of caffeine, how it's ingested, can have dire consequences," said Gary Watts, a Richland Co. coroner.

The teen drank seemingly harmless products most of us consume every day. Davis had a large Mountain Dew, a latte from McDonald's and an energy drink. However, it's how fast he drank them that made for a lethal combination. 

"It's the amount and also the time frame in which these caffeinated beverages are consumed that can put you at risk," said Amy Durso, a Richland Co. pathologist.

As finals for high schoolers and college students get underway, a warning from a father who is coping with the loss of his teenage son.

"Teenagers and students please stop buying them," said Sean. "There's there's no reason to consume them. They can be very dangerous."

© 2017 WCNC.COM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment