CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Sources tell NBC Charlotte Cannon was very upset and absolutely surprised when he was arrested Wednesday. Here's a detailed look at how the Patrick Cannon investigation played out.
1. How it started -- In 2010 FBI launches investigation against Patrick Cannon.
2. What happened – Multi-year investigation, Cannon receives $48K in cash, gifts.
3. Wife, Cannon fly to Vegas -- Undercover agent flew Cannon and his wife to Las Vegas on July 1st to impress investors. Agent paid for hotel rooms and gave Cannon $1,000 in cash.
4. Briefcase full of cash to mayor’s office -- During a meeting, the affidavit says, Cannon got a leather Fossil briefcase containing $20,000 in cash.
5. Cannon switched vote against streetcar -- After being against streetcar, Cannon switches vote.
6. SouthPark apartment – In 2012, the FBI leased an apartment in SouthPark. The apartment gave undercover agents credibility and a place to secretly record the mayor. Several times over the next year, Cannon asked agents for an apartment key.
7. The arrest - On Wednesday, Cannon was arrested after he met with an undercover agent at the SouthPark apartment rented by the FBI.
8. Governor Pat McCrory’s take - The NC governor speaks on the charges against Cannon.
9. City Council to appoint new mayor -- City Council handles task for appointing new mayor.
10. What’s next? Indictment? Sentence? -- How the case and sentence can play out for Cannon.